- Last Updated: Friday, 02 June 2017 03:03
- Published: Friday, 02 June 2017 03:03
- Written by Wilma Zalabak
1. According to Paul, what is the purpose of Scripture, of telling these old stories? See also Romans 15:4 and 1 Corinthians 10:6-11.
2. Read Hebrews 11:1-19, and let’s discuss faith. What is it? What is it not? What does it believe? For each of these Old Testament stories, list the forces that went up against faith. If we have similar forces against faith today, might this be an illustration of the use of scripture as examples or types for us?
3. Read Matthew 15:21-28 and describe the factors fighting against this woman’s faith. Read Matthew 27:46, 50, and Luke 23:46: What were the forces against Jesus’ faith, and how did His faith win out?
4. Ponder and discuss Abraham’s two faithful questions in Genesis 18:14, 25.
5. What joy or excitement comes to you from this text? What questions arise for you out of the reading of this text? What did you learn that was new to you, or a new way of looking at something? What does this text tell you about God and about yourself? About humans in general?
Old Testament References
4:18 Genesis 15:5
4:19 Genesis 17:17
4:21 Psalm 115:3
4:22 Genesis 15:6
4:25 Isaiah 53:4-5