- Last Updated: Saturday, 04 February 2017 12:13
- Published: Saturday, 04 February 2017 12:13
- Written by Wilma Zalabak
1. This is often called the theme statement of Paul’s letter to the Romans. Have you found other parts of the book that reference back to this? How do you keep track of cross references in your Bible?
2. What Old Testament images come to mind in the reading of these verses? Look them up and access their contexts.
3. Sit for a minute with your shame. Most of us have it. How does the gospel of Christ speak to that shame? How could your testimony or these verses be used to reach an unbeliever you know?
4. What questions arise for you out of the reading of this text?
5. What does this text tell you about God and about yourself? About humans in general?
1:16 Ashamed: Psalm 24:2; 43:10; Isaiah 28:16; 50:7-8
1:16 Greeks: Psalm 97:2; Isaiah 51:4-5; 52:10
1:17 Just live: Habakkuk 2:4; Revelation 6:10; Psalm 13