November 25, 2018, Lectionary
- Last Updated: Sunday, 25 November 2018 12:38
- Published: Sunday, 25 November 2018 12:38
- Written by Wilma Zalabak
David, at the end of his days, claimed that God told him, "The one who rules over others must be just, ruling in the fear of God." Could this not apply to all of us? 2 Samuel 23:1-7
A soon as David became king and had his own palace, he insisted on getting the Lord a place to rest in Jerusalem. Then the Lord made promises to David! Psalm 132
In Exodus God's name was given, "I AM." In Revelation God's name is given, the one who is, was, and is to come. Interesting the different ways to say the same thing. Revelation 1:4b-8
I am waiting, watching, and working toward the inbreaking of principles from beyond this world. If our principles were from within this world, we would fight. My ground for Thanksgiving today is that there is more than this world. John 18:33-37
Thoughts about Listening
When I let myself down, when I don't live up to my own ideas, it helps to have a listener who will keep on treating me with personal respect. 2 Samuel 23:1-7
For a person who gives me gift listening with respectful attention, it is my intention never to try to command or control that attention or to bully that person in any way. Psalm 132
I want to remember to listen better to how someone introduces him or herself. Revelation 1:4b-8
Which is easier for you? To believe and be thankful that this world and life is all there is? Or to believe and be thankful that there are principles and persons beyond this world? John 18:33-37
Bible Reading Group Study Guide
1. How often do you focus and think about someone or something beyond or outside of this world?
2. Read or listen to 2 Samuel 23:1-7. David figured even a high king on earth should listen and obey someone beyond this world. How is his rule described if he does so?
3. Read or listen to Psalm 132. David made a home on earth for a God from beyond this world. List and discuss some of the promises this God then made to David.
4. Read or listen to Revelation 1:4b-8. List some names or descriptions by which God, and/or Jesus, are introduced in this reading. Compare the name in Exodus 3:14. Pick one of the names and tell your group how it makes you feel about God.
5. Read or listen to John 18:33-37. Jesus said his kingdom is from beyond this world, and that’s why his people don’t fight. Is it easy or difficult for you to believe there are principles and persons outside of this world? What is difficult or easy to you about such a belief?
December 2 Bible Readings:
● Jeremiah 33:14-16 ● Psalm 25:1-10
● 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13 ● Luke 21:25-36